We’ve watched Chris Read bat several times and we wouldn’t say he wowed us with the pristine aesthetics of his strokes. Nevertheless, he must tire of the way people talk about him like he should come into bat after Devon Malcolm, even if Devon had food poisoning and couldn’t find a bat.
Here are Chris Read’s first-class batting averages in each of the last few seasons:
- 2005 – 44.68 with one hundred
- 2006 – 27.41 with one hundred
- 2007 – 54.17 with two hundreds (second division)
- 2008 – 42.06 with one hundred
- 2009 – 73.71 with four hundreds
We’re not saying he’s Adam Gilchrist. We’re not even saying he should get picked for England. We’re just wondering at what point he’ll lose his reputation for being a ‘pure’ keeper who can’t hold a bat.