We thought we should probably mention Durham’s victory in the County Championship. How did they win? The same way all teams win in the longer formats – through their bowlers.
Durham can boast of the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 9th highest wicket takers in the County Championship first division. Look at the bowling averages and the picture’s even clearer. If you only include bowlers who’ve taken 10 wickets or more, Jimmy Anderson’s top, but let’s exclude him, because he only played one match.
This is what we’re left with:
- Graham Onions (Durham) 45 wickets at 15.28
- Ian Blackwell (Durham) 36 wickets at 20.88
- Steve Harmison (Durham) 49 wickets at 21
- Mark Davies (Durham) 17 wickets at 23
- Liam Plunkett (Durham) 40 wickets at 23.3
Then it’s Naqaash Tahir of Warwickshire.
Durham also have seven batsmen averaging over 40 – including Shiv, who’s topping the averages at 135.5 – so it’s not just the pitch.
Well played Durham and well played Durham’s bowlers.